Here we are at the end of 2009, or here I am anyway – dunno where/when you’ll be when you read this but I hope it’s all good. Time now to do the Janus thing & take a look at the passing and incoming years…
Things I’ve enjoyed in 2009:
- My work, both writing and modelling.
- My friends and family, who I often ignore but do love very much.
- Some decent films – Law Abiding Citizen was one of my favourites, and District 9 was highly engaging for such a simple narrative. Avatar was fairly unoriginal but very nice to look at. Gamer was much less brainless than expected and quite entertaining. Watchmen was good as a film, though lacking some of the depth of the graphic novel. (And Adz the Russian still hasn’t got over the sight of Dr Manhattan’s giant blue penis.)
- Music in all its forms. There’s too much to list.
- Making a brief foray into burlesque dancing, only to get pregnant a couple of weeks after my first show.
Things I’ve disliked in 2009:
- Losing my old job, though my self-employed work now is much more rewarding & less stressful.
- Arguments, of which I have had many.
- Some terrible films – Wolverine (blandly rolling around in its own mediocrity; why introduce Deadpool, only to make such poor use of him? Though apparently there’s plans to give Deadpool his own movie…), Paranormal Activity (no, looking like camcorder footage doesn’t make it any scarier when fuck all much happens), and Drag Me To Hell (wtf happened to the horror-comedy genius that was Sam Raimi?). And a special mention for 2012, which was not only scientifically dodgy as fuck, but also managed to be dull and repetitive (oh no! drive this vehicle while buildings fall down and the road drops away behind us! again!) and ridiculously over-long.
- Not having enough time to read lots of books.
Hopes, fears and predictions for 2010:
- Giving birth to my first (and only) child. At home. I’m terrified and excited in equal measure, and I expect the balance to tip in favour of terrified as the due date approaches.
- Maternity leave. No doubt money will be in short supply, but I’m looking forward to it nonetheless.
- More writing, more modelling, more work that’s personally (and financially) fulfilling.
- A holiday, if we can manage it.
- Making my own fetish clothing & accessories, starting with some fetish maternity clothes. I’ll show you when they’re done.
- Global climate recovery policies – we need them. I feel shame that I haven’t wasted less and recycled more this year.
- Hair dye – oh, how I’ve missed you. Pregnant hair is unpredictable, so I’ve been laying off the bleach & krazy kolor. It’ll be good to have my bright hair back again soon. In the meantime, wash-out reds will have to do.
- More bdsm play. I have so much wicked stuff to play with, I don’t want to leave it sitting in the cupboard for months at a time next year…
- And finally, “world peace”. I don’t believe it’s possible or even healthy, but it sounds nice.
Have a lovely New Year’s Eve, wherever you are, and do what you can with the new year. Maybe it’ll be your best yet.